Wednesday 14 September 2011

Penn State Gammon and mustard flavour pretzels


Fire up the BBQ and pack up the picnic basket - summer has arrived! Well, almost. Despite the fact that the weather hasn't been up to much so far, the UK's leading pretzel brand, Penn State Snacks, has something to brighten up everyone's day with the introduction of its delicious new pretzel flavour.


The mouth-watering new Gammon and Mustard pretzels offer a tasty twist on a popular family favourite. Baked, not fried, and still only 131 calories per 30 gram serving, this limited edition and low fat flavour provides a healthier alternative to crisps and other snack foods.


Lending its name to popular pub grub, the new flavour is packaged in fun, fresh, share-size snack packs with each 175g bag retailling at £1.29 and avaliable to buy in Waitrose stores throughout the summer.


As the nights draw in this winter, the hearty Gammon and Mustard pretzels also lend themselves well to all those cosy nights in with family and friends. Albeit a while off yet, this scrumptious flavour for all seasons will be avaliable to buy in ASDA stores over the festive period.


(above taken from Penn State news release dated 8 August 2011)


These pretzels are delicious. A strong mustard flavour with a hint of gammon.  They don't have a strong mustardy smell which I saw as a positive as I think that could of been off putting. They were tried by the whole family and both my husband and I enjoyed them, my son (age 7) thought they were okay but my daughter (age 9) did not enjoy them, however she doesn't like mustard full stop. I can see myself buying these over the festive period rather than for a summer snack as I see the flavour as being more Christmassy. One definite advantage to these pretzels are that they are not as strong as some of the ham and mustard crisps which have previously been on the market and I think the more subtle flavouring with a slight mustard aftertaste work well.

I really enjoy the Penn State Pretzels and have tried most of the flavours and my favourite are the sour cream and chives pretzels. The flavour is lovely and does not leave you with an oniony breath. They are baked rather than fried and therefore healthier, lower in fat, than some brands. The pretzels are not overly salty and do not leave you needing lots of rehydration as some pretzels can.

Thank you to Penn State and Gardiner Richardson for sending me the pretzels to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment